Engineering Manager - Attractions
Attractions Mission and PurposeTripsengineering Tripsattractions
At Booking.com, we believe travel is a force for good in the world, connecting people and cultures, reducing barriers and increasing understanding. Our mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world. We make this possible by allowing everyone to book their entire trip with Booking.com. The Attractions business vertical is part of the Trips Business Unit where we are making a connected trip possible for our customers. Attractions focuses on the wide variety of attractions, tours, and activities available at destinations around the world. We aim to make it easier for our customers to find, book, and experience any attraction at unbeatable value. As travel returns, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing team to create value for our customers, partners and business.
Engineering Manager in Attractions
We are looking for Engineering Managers to lead our attractions teams! Who are passionate about SOA, scalability and user experience. Are up to the challenge of leading teams responsible for high criticality components with high demand for reliability, data consistency and data compliance. Feel comfortable working closely with machine learning, marketing, and cross-sell teams to drive relevant engagement. Can collaborate effectively with our partners to grow our attractions selection!
Our teams primarily focus on:
- Building scalable and reliable foundations to distribute our attractions to various clients.
- Building and maintaining third-party API integrations to enable ingesting attractions inventory and availability.
- Handling the reservations of our attractions products as well as managing their payments, from receiving the guest funds to invoicing and paying out our partners
- Giving customers the best possible experience as they discover, plan, book and ultimately enjoy their trip.
Our teams work with Java, Kubernetes, NodeJs, Cassandra, Kafka, Redis, and React. Are you ready for new challenges and to propel our teams forward?
- Inspire, motivate and directly manage engineers in multiple teams and in various roles;
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment – turn “my ideas” into “our ideas”
- Nurture, grow and develop talent in the team;
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating.
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Technical Incident Management;
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members;
- Creating development, deployment, and integration plans;
- Continuous Quality and Process Improvement;
- Creating a culture of ownership and technical excellence;
- Manage technical stakeholders in integrating solutions.
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Ability to get into the technical detail (where required) to coach, support and mentor the team
- Delivery of the wider engineering strategic objectives
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap;
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Architectural Ownership and Guidance;
- Minimum of 5 years software development experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience of directly managing engineering teams.
- Strong system design skills and programming skills in Java, Spring and Dropwizard.
- Experience in designing APIs, dealing with high traffic, exposure to security concerns.
- Experience with unit, integration and end-to-end test paradigms.
- Experience developing and maintaining distributed systems.
- Experience with defining and upholding SLOs/KPIs and participating in architecture reviews for systems.
- Experience in managing cloud deployments is a plus.
- Experience with Kafka, Cassandra and MySQL is a plus.
- Experience in driving successful technical initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality.
- You have a ‘can do’ attitude and you act proactively and not reactively.
- Excellent communication; written and spoken. Ability to influence and cooperate with people at all levels.
- Experience in the tours and activities industry is a plus.
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe;
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide;
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture;
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions;
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.