JOB DESCRIPTION Job Requirements
This posting has been created to pipeline talent for prospective roles that we anticipate will be needed soon in our organization. By applying to this Pipeline Advertisement, you will be submitting your interest to be contacted for similar roles to what is described in the Pipeline Advertisement.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry leaders ensuring the scientific value of our products is understood. We connect, communicate and train internal employees to ensure a thorough understanding of the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to support collaboration to further differentiate our portfolio.
Medical Affairs Manager is an office-based, field-directed medical professional who uses medical knowledge and customer insights to provide input into the development of the country medical affairs plan and engage in peer-to-peer communication & provide cutting edge scientific information to external stakeholders and medical advice to internal stakeholders such as market access, commercial & clinical colleagues.
Provides input into the development of country medical strategy and manages it execution in the assigned product/indications, drives the strategic and tactical execution of the corresponding medical affairs plan.
Works in close collaboration with the Medical Lead/Senior Medical Advisor, marketing and access counterparts as well as RDMA and other local/regional stakeholders for the products/indications. A major part of the role is to develop and maintain highly effective relationships with new or existing customers (SLs and other relevant local political, economic and other Health Care Community members), engages them in communication of disease & products awareness and applies in depth scientific medical knowledge to ensure appropriate understanding of our data, hence a minimum of 3 days per week should be spend on meaningful customer interactions (F2F, meetings, phone contacts, e-mails….).
Medical Affairs Manager is expected to collaborate with customers to successfully implement investigator-initiated research and to develop real-world evidence, patient support and patient assistance programs which facilitate access to or help increase the knowledge of our company’s products in the local Health Care context. Medical Affairs Manager is expected to be recognized by customers and colleagues as company’s expert in the therapeutic area.
Primary Activities include but are not limited to:
- Contribution into the development of Medical Affairs Plan respecting the global strategy but outlining the specifics for the country e.g. different standard of care, reimbursement timeline…)
- Planning and implementation of local Medical Affairs activities within the agreed indications, timelines and budgets applying the knowledge of our company’s and competitor products and therapeutic options and understanding the disease environment.
- Prioritization and definition of activities/ development areas to meet all scientific and medical needs as well as clinical care gaps.
- Identification of SLs and topics for discussion needed to implement tactics defined in MAP.
- Under the guidance of Senior Medical Advisor/Medical Lead planning, initiation and implementation of Local Clinical Evaluation, Patient assistance Support programs including the production of a clinical study report and publications when applicable.
- Support in application and management of IIS proposals received.
- Provides input to business colleagues in the development of the promotional materials, and reviews it ensuring all regulatory and compliance requirement to be met.
- Plans and executes national and Balkan regional Advisory boards/Expert Input Forums, contributes to our company’s sponsored meetings/CME events including the engagement of SLs, development of slide kits and giving own lecture as relevant active participant in symposia and congresses.
- Medical advisor has to have expertise and knowledge to apply independently with different types of customers in order to meet their needs and preferences in order to support strategic decisions in support of the medical strategy.
- Provides medical and scientific training to internal customers and ensures tailored responses to customer’s requests for Medical Information.
- Closely collaborates with Market Access for access plans and programs and provides support when it comes to reimbursement dossier preparation and participates in negotiations in the sick fund when medical expertise is required.
- Shares important and relevant information with the team/appropriate stakeholders.
- Knows and understands our company’s policies/procedures as well as industry regulations and standards and is able to apply them in the daily business understanding the value of quality and compliance and the implications and risks of non-compliance.
- Background Requirements: Candidates must possess an MD (or equivalent, e.g. MB.Ch.B., Bachelor of Medicine), Pharm D, Pharmacist or PhD in a life science.
- Work Experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills related to management of scientific leaders and authorities.
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to function within a team environment, utilizing the strengths and diversity of other team members to improve own performance.
- Collaborative problem-solving approach within the team - Strong leadership behaviors within delivering value for customers by understanding and meeting their needs; act with candor and courage; make rapid, disciplined decisions.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization.
- Excellent understanding of core systems, tools, and metrics - English on proficiency level.
- Strong scientific baseline knowledge in therapeutic areas of interest to the Company, understanding of clinical trials methods, implementation and interpretation of clinical data, sound scientific and clinical judgment, and an eagerness to continue to learn more in assigned therapeutic area.
- Strong, confident and engaging presentation skills.
- Simultaneously handling multiple tasks and working under pressure.
- Works to develop new skills and abilities and seeks and readily accepts feedback on performance.
- Corporate culture competencies of Leadership Behaviors, including Business Integrity.
Your role at our company is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At our company, we’re inventing for life.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.