As a Senior Manager Data Science & Analytics - Messaging you are a driver of discipline, generating significant business impact directly and indirectly, and craft the direction of product initiatives by being driven and having full ownership of projects led by the Data Science and Machine Learning teams.. You are responsible for two teams of Data Science, analytics and machine learning scientists. You will not only work as a coach for your people but also as a technical leader, ensuring that the right technical decisions are made when building our product. Another area of focus will be the stakeholder management and communication of the teams’ directions with the rest of the messaging track and even wider with the business whenever applicable.
At Marketing Messaging, which is part of Booking’s Marketing department, we are developing ML tools, insights and analysis to create personalized messages, push notifications, rewards & incentives and measure the impact of our actions on our customers. You are a subject-matter expert in the theory behind one or more of the following areas of machine intelligence: recommendation systems, statistics, classification/regression problems, customer segmentation, NLP/Computer Vision, uplift modeling, Causal Inference, A/B testing data pipelines, visualization and their implementation as end-to-end products that generate direct business impact. You define the strategy and vision with your managers and other stakeholders in order to generate outsized impact through automated intelligence for a product by driving a research agenda and development plan from ideation to prototyping to full productionisation.
As a Senior Manager Data Science & Analytics - Messaging, you will need to collaborate with different teams and stakeholders to ensure we cater for the business needs and provide messages to the right customers at the right time depending on the information we have about them. The team has a wide range of focus areas and stakeholders, from predicting customer’s behaviors to optimizing the content of the emails or the time of the mails and notifications, personalizing the rewards and picking the right audience are the areas of focus. The teams will be responsible for managing and developing Machine Learning models and data pipelines, deriving customer insights and statistical analysis of the actions through A/B testing, promoting code quality and best engineering practices.We value innovation, ownership and a result-driven attitude.
- Build strong functioning teams within their area, by coaching and developing the managers and individual contributors wherever necessary.
- Prioritize work in collaboration with other teams, product managers and other leaders in the department, depending on business needs and keeping stakeholders aligned at all times.
- Translate data science vision and strategy into planning and execution, and ensure timely delivery of their plans.
- Make things happen by maintaining motivation and conveying a sense of urgency, focusing on outcomes and accomplishments, while respecting the need to balance long- and short-term goals, by applying influencing techniques and decision making skills.
- Develop innovative analysis, algorithms, and engineering approaches or identify existing ones, with the potential to impact our business. Design and execute applied research plans to understand, apply, test, evolve, and generalize these technologies into reusable frameworks.
- Translate business problems into viable, reliable and robust data science solutions, accounting for constraints of the production environment.
- Monitor product health, performance and business impact and act accordingly when requirements are not met.
- Solve issues by applying methods and insights gained from a variety of disciplines, navigating a variety of environments.
- Drives, coaches and mentors others through evidence and clear communication, explaining advanced technical concepts in simpler terms.
- Continuously evolve their craft. Keep up to date with industry and academic standard methodologies, periodically explore new technologies, introduce them to the machine learning community and promote their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively contribute to the data science community at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing,onboarding and mentoring colleagues.
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending machine learning tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
- Experience designing and executing end-to-end research and development plans and generating impact through large-scale machine learning model development. If possible evidenced by peer-reviewed publication, patents, open sourced code or the like.
- Familiarity in the areas like e.g. Recommender Systems, statistics, classification/regression problems, customer segmentation, NLP/Computer Vision, uplift modeling, Causal Inference, A/B testing, building data pipelines and data visualization.
- Relevant work or academic experience (MSc + 5 years of working experience, or PhD + 3 years of working experience), involved in the application of Machine Learning to business problems.
- Previous experience as a Data science manager of single or multiple teams.
- Masters degree, PhD or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, etc.).
- Experience on multiple machine learning facets: working with large data sets, model development, statistics, experimentation, data visualization, optimization, software development.
- Experience collaborating cross functionally in the development of machine learning products (e.g. Developers, UX specialists, Product Managers, etc.).
- Strong working knowledge of Python, Hadoop, SQL, R, Spark or similar technologies.
- Working experience with version control systems.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working in a cloud environment is a prerequisite.
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment