Location: Bucharest, Romania
The people we all rely on to make the world go round – they rely on Thales. Thales rely on its employees to invent the future: right here, right now.
Present in Romania for over 40 years, Thales is expanding its presence in the country by growing its Digital capabilities and by developing a Group Engineering Competence Centre (ECC). Operating from Bucharest, Thales delivers solutions in a number of core businesses, from ground transportation, space and defence, to security and aeronautics.
Several professional opportunities have arisen. If you are looking for the solidity of a Global Group that is at the forefront of innovation, but with the agility of a human structure that tailors to the personal development of its employees and allows opportunities for evolution in an international environment, then this is the place for you!
As a Systems Implementation Engineer, working individually or as part of a larger team, you will be responsible for all project phases of turnkey software systems based on Thales DIS’s software solutions in the fields of image processing, biometrics, automated fingerprint identification and document issuance, including:
- Gathering, understanding, writing, communicating system specifications to meet project requirements;
- System configuration;
- Performance tuning;
- System acceptance.
A week in the life of a Systems Implementation Engineer:
- You will communicate with the project manager and client in order to understand specific system requirements for the assigned biometric and document issuance system project;
- You will identify and select the software and hardware products necessary to meet the project requirements;
- You will design and complete installation and configuration of the selected software and hardware products by integrating solutions, verifying and testing the system functionality and performance against the project requirements;
- You will collaborate with software developers to perform product customizations for the project as needed;
- You will create development specifications and assign to development teams
- You will make sure that development delivery corresponds with requirements
- You will provide system integration support for the development and troubleshooting of the system;
- You will convert historical biometric and demographic records and ensure they are properly loaded into the new system as required by the project;
- You will deploy the system at the client site and perform system acceptance testing with client;
- You will document the design specifications, installation instructions and any other solution/ system related information relevant to the project;
- You will provide system knowledge transfer and training to technical support engineers and client’s system administrators;
- You will monitor the system operations to detect potential problems;
- You will resolve system issues reported by client or escalated by technical support engineers, ensure all reported technical issues are resolved, and escalate any product defects to software and hardware developers as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in technical discipline or equivalent work experience;
- 5-7 years of related experience with information technology systems design, configuration, implementation with an advanced level of responsibility.
- Linux system administration (intermediate/advanced level) and Windows system administration (intermediate/advanced level);
- TCP/IP networking fundamentals;
- XML, Web services (REST, SOAP) – fundamentals;
- Basic/intermediate knowledge of SQL and Database servers (Oracle is an advantage);
- UNIX and Windows scripting - .bat, shell (.sh) - intermediate/advanced level;
- Integration, deployment, configuration and fine tuning of the solution on test/ production environment (local and client site);
- Ability to work independently or as part of a larger team;
- Fluent in English, in verbal and written communication;
- (Once it will be safe to travel) Availability for extensive travel abroad mostly within the EMEA region for projects implementations and support (up to 60%).
Nice to have capabilities:
- SQL and Database servers (Oracle is an advantage) - intermediate level;
- Programming or advanced scripting experience – Java, C, C#, Perl, Python, Powershell;
- AIX, HP/UX, other Unix-style OS experience (administration);
- Knowledge of fingerprint, facial or iris biometrics.
- At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!