Machine Learning Scientist - Flights Pricing
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Our flight business is one of the cornerstones of the connected trip. We ought to offer the best and most convenient flights to every customer, those that start their trip by buying a flight or those that are complementing their existing journey with a flight. We will do this by having the best inventory available at the most competitive prices powering a site that solves all the pain points of booking a flight today.
To support this organization, we are looking for a Machine Learning Scientist. As a successful candidate, you will be working closely with the pricing product teams within the Flights organization. You will help build and optimize the models behind our Flights pricing. Using a combination of machine learning techniques, engineering, online experimentation, and agile product development, you will bring your models to production and provide value to our users and the business.
- Translate broad business problems into ML/AI challenges. Develop the strategy and research plan for tackling them by designing innovative ML/AI models, algorithms, and approaches that deliver both short-term commercial impact and longer-term differentiated business value and customer experiences.
- Drive the end-to-end execution of the ML/AI development process on products, from understanding product requirements and constraints of the production environment, data discovery, proof-of-concept demonstrations, model development and evaluation, to implementation of a full production pipeline, and their monitoring.
- Develop production-grade machine learning code, from models to features and pipelines, allowing for scalability, realtime, monitoring and retraining.
- Maintain a highly cross-disciplinary perspective, solving issues by applying approaches and methods from across a variety of ML/AI disciplines and related fields.
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in ML/AI and related technologies, introducing them to the machine learning community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively contribute to Machine Learning at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues. Push for improvements, scaling and extending machine learning tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
- Ability to design an applied research plan for a product family from scratch as evidenced by peer-review publication, past projects, or similar track record.
- Strong relevant work or academic experience (MSc + 2 years of working experience, or PhD), involved in the development and application of Machine Learning.
- Masters degree, PhD or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, etc).
- Experience on multiple machine learning facets: working with large data sets, model development, statistics, experimentation, data visualization, optimization, software development.
- Experience in theory, design and engineering of multiple machine learning areas such as multi-arm bandits, uplift modeling, classification/regression techniques, recommendation systems and causal inference.
- Experience building scalable pricing models with low real time prediction latency in online travel or e-commerce environments.
- Experience collaborating cross functionally in the development of machine learning products (e.g. Developers, UX specialists, Product Managers, etc).
- Strong working knowledge of Python, Hadoop, SQL, Spark or similar big data technologies.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to effectively build a relevant network in the organization and strong relationships with direct stakeholders across all levels of the organization.
- Preferably experienced in yielding at any other OTA or Airline, with strong background in all the components of revenue a flight transaction might have.
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide;
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture;
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions;
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Booking.com.